Tuesday, February 4, 2014

29 Faces Art Challenge Faces # 3-5

My two children and I participating in Ayala Art's 29 Faces Art Challenge. My kids have jumped in with gusto, drawing so many faces that I can't possibly put them all on the blog. So far, it's been a good exercise for me not only in coming up with new projects, but also in letting go of some of my perfectionism. 

Here are today's offerings:

Face #3


For this one, I stained my background with the morning's leftover coffee. Then, I sketched the face with a terracotta Conte crayon pencil. Next, I added some color with watercolor, and finally I drew in the details with chalk pastels. 

I find it difficult to draw men in general, and I noticed some of the other participants voiced this as well.  I wonder why that is?

If you know our family in real life, you might have an inkling who this man might be.:)  It captures his essence, although I think there is something Dostoyevsky-esque in the portrait as well. 

Face #4 

This manga-like drawing is from my 10-year-old son. He did this with gouache and chalk pastels. 


Face #5

My 8-year-old daughter drew this face from her imagination. She actually draws faces quite often, and has of late been fascinated with people wearing glasses.



Thank you to everyone who has encouraged us and taken the time to comment! This might be the most fun link-up I have ever participated in!

13 comments:

  1. You may feel that's it difficult to draw men but you sure did a pretty good job at it. And it's so sweet that the kids joined in as well. They sure did a wonderful job too. Big thumbs up for Mom and the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recognized him right away! Thanks for encouraging me to check on all those art supplies you mentioned that we have not used yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's definitely encouraging that you recognized him! Can't wait to see what your girls create with those art supplies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your face #3 drawn with with the crayon pencil. Men are harder, don't know why that is :-). Your kids did an awesome job on their faces. Am totally impressed!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cool to be getting the kids involved!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Micki and Jen! I'll pass your encouragement along to my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful faces....
    And your children are really good at drawing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marianne! I'll be sure to tell my kids.

      Delete
  8. A great set of faces. I, too, think it wonderful that your children are taking part. AND because of you I will get out Conte pencils and try adding it to watercolors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's fun to hear that you are inspired to pull out the Conte crayons, too! Can't wait to see the results!

      Delete
  9. This is fun. I have so many art supplies stored away and this has encouraged me to get them out. Blessings to you and yours and keeping on drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the differences in your faces and your use of color. I've got to start adding some color to mine. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete