Sunday, February 16, 2014

29 Faces Art Challenge # 14 - 19

Here we are back again with the 29 Faces Art Challenge from Ayala Art! As I predicted, our posting slowed down after the winter school holidays, but we've been drawing nevertheless. In fact, I think we might even have more than 29 faces at the end of February.: )



Face #14
"Mystery" - I have no idea what she is looking at, but it makes her smile. Watercolor and chalk pastel. 


Face #15
Ayala encourages us to draw anything with a "face", so I chose to draw an owl. Like the picture above, it is watercolor with chalk pastel.


Face #16
My children and I attended an art exhibit called "Manga Mucha Mystery" that explored how the Art Nouveau artist Alphonse Mucha influenced Manga and pop culture. My kids got to attend a Manga workshop, and I sat with friends sketching the pictures in the exhibition. You can see the Manga influence in this portrait I did below. I used a picture and changed the woman's features enough to make it original.: ) I used watercolor and watercolor pencils.


Face #17
A Manga drawing. I thought up the interesting headdress after some of studying Mucha's pictures. 



Face #18 
My 10-year-old son is back with the following portraits of Dad and Mom.: )


Face #19


I'm also posting this on Sunday Sketches. I just discovered Alexandra's blog. She is an amazing self-taught artist with an inspiring life story. It reminds me to pay even closer attention to the children in my care. Hope you will check out her blog and work!



13 comments:

  1. So many various kind of faces, love that! My favorite is Mystery, I like how you've brought her so close, she seems to come right on me with those beautiful eyes! The texture is rich, background so great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! Love the expression on face 14!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the faces - there's so many expressions.
    The owl is really, really cute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that you like the owl! I wasn't entirely sure what I thought of it.: )

      Delete
  4. Love all the sketches, great expression in all of the them. Sounds like you had fun with the kids.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of the drawings and paintings really catch my eye, Sheila. I love the expression on the top one. She certainly seems to know a secret. The owl is colorful and beautifully drawn. And the children's sketches show that they are artists in their own rights.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! so many wonderful sketches ~ favorite is the first one I think ~ thanks,

    carol and artmusedog
    www.acreativeharbor.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol! I look forward to visiting your blog as well.

      Delete
  7. Your faces are absolutely wonderful. I LOVE the first two alot. How do you create the reflection in your eyes? This is something I've always struggled with. Thanks for joining us. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alexandra! The eyes are a simple Manga / Anime technique where you draw the pupil and then add a few white circles. The white circles stay white, but the rest of the pupil and iris can then be painted various grades of color.

      Delete