Thursday, March 7, 2013

Sneak Preview: Parable of the Sower

At my Godly Play Trainers' Course in Holland, I had the chance to use materials from Johanna Kaarto, a Godly Play Trainer in Finland. I was so impressed by them that I decided to order some of her DIY parable materials. They are reasonably priced and the etching in the wood is delicate and beautiful.

I will be doing the Parable of the Sower on Sunday. The last time I told this parable, it was with Playmobil figures. But that's the sort of thing you do when you are just starting out with Godly Play.: )  These days, I am slowing upgrading as time and money will allow.


I am using watercolor mixed with a little vinegar to paint the unfinished wood. (Think Easter egg dye - the vinegar makes the color more intense and adhere to the egg shell better.) I decided that acrylics would be too heavy and I didn't want to risk covering up Johanna's etching.




Now, I'll give them a coat of varnish before Sunday!

. . . 

Am Sonntag werde ich "Das Gleichnis vom Sämann" erzählen. Obwohl ich früher Playmobil  dafür benutzt habe, versuche ich langsam die Playmofiguren mit pädagogisch gerechtem Material auszutauschen.

Bei dem Fortbildner-Training für Godly Play in Holland habe ich Material von Johanna Kaarto in Finland benutzt. Da sie auch DIY-Material zum günstigen Preis anbietet, habe ich  die schönen Holzfiguren oben von ihr bestellt. 

Ich habe sie dann mit Aquarellfarbe und Essig angemalt, damit die Radierungen im Holz immer noch sichtbar werden. Letztens muss ich sie vor Sonntag lackieren!


2 comments:

  1. Sheila, I like your idea of using watercolors and vinegar for a "stained wood" effect. I think it does look nicer than figures painted with acrylics. Will try that in the future!

    Blessings,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete