Wednesday, April 9, 2014

It's Pysanky time again!

"Mom, I'm so glad we get to make Pysanky and not just those boring Easter eggs that everyone else makes!"

Not that I have anything against other kinds of Easter eggs, but it is nice to that hear my ten-year-old really enjoys making Pysanky, the Ukrainian Easter eggs that are painted using a batik method with beeswax. 

If you'd like to find out how I learned to make them and then taught my children, please read this



This year, I finally made a real drying rack. I, the handwork challenged one, hammered some nails into plywood (driving my neighbors batty, I'm sure!) in tripod formations to dry the eggs after dying and more easily varnish them.

This year, I also got brave enough to hollow out the eggs afterwards with an egg pump. (In the past, we have just left the insides intact and they harden after a couple of years.) So now, we'll be able to glue ribbons on to our finished eggs and give them to friends for their Easter trees.


No comments:

Post a Comment