Saturday, February 19, 2011

On-line Montessori Training Opportunity

After I became more acquainted with the Montessori Method through Godly Play, I began to search for an opportunity to learn more about it in a more formal setting.  Although Berlin has a reputable Montessori Institute that trains teachers, my stage of life with two small children and two part-time jobs makes it logistically impossible to take advantage of it.  I also looked into on-line training, but most correspondence courses from the States cost approximately $3,000 - $5,000.  I remember praying for a workable solution, because I really wanted to be able to incorporate more of the Montessori philosophy into both my work in a church setting and my classroom at school.

Not long afterwards, I read about an on-line course offered by AMS certified Montessorian Karen Tyler that seemed almost too good to be true.  Karen teaches a pre-primary training course that covers all aspects of the Montessori Method from Sensorial to Zoology.  Students learn at their own pace through papers and album presentations.  At the end of the course, a student is the proud owner of 12 Montessori albums that are an incredible resource for any teacher or parent.

And even more unbelievable is the price:  $10 per month!  (She actually has several payment options, and if you pay for the entire course at the beginning, you only pay $150 for everything!) Karen’s philosophy is that Montessori should for everyone, so she purposefully makes the course affordable. 

I have been in the class since December and am learning so much from her.  She is very good about communicating with her students and answers any questions that we might have.  What an amazing thing as a children’s pastor or teacher to have a qualified Montessori trainer just be an e-mail away! 

There is a new class beginning on March 1, so if you think this might be something for you, please check out her website at: Worldwide Montessori .

If you decide to take the course after reading this blog, please leave a comment.  I’d love to know about it!



No comments:

Post a Comment