Friday, October 21, 2011

Autumn Leaf Crown


Need a crown for your favorite elf?  This beautiful autumn leaf crown is the work of Birgit, a Waldorf-trained teacher at the Naturkindergarten (Nature Kindergarten) that my daughter attends. I watched her weave it the other day and then had to try it myself.  It was such a great idea that I just had to share it with you! Möchte dein lieblings Waldzwerg eine schöne Krone haben? Dies ist die wunderschöne Handarbeit von Birgit, eine Waldorf Pädagogin im Naturkindergarten, wo meine Tochter hingeht. Ich habe sie vor paar Tagen beobachtet als sie diese Krone zusammenbastelt hat. Danach musste ich selber probieren und mit euch teilen!



To make, gather any autumn leaves that have longer stems, such as maple leaves.  Pull the stems off. They will  be used as "thread" to hold the crown together.  Then, fold the bottom third of each leaf. Begin to put each leaf inside half of the folded one next to it. Use the stems to weave the leaves together.
So geht das: erstmal schöne Herbstblätter sammeln und die Stiele entfernen. Dann faltet man ungefähr den unteren Drittel von jedem Blatt und steckt die Hälfte jeden Blattes in das davor liegende Blatt. Zuletzt "näht" man die Blätter zusammen mit den entfernten Stielen.  

This will be the inside of the crown. You can see how the stems are threaded into the leaves.
Das ist die innere Seite der Krone. Man sieht wie die Blätter zusammen "genäht" sind.
The finished crown.
Die fertige Krone.
With a little practice, older children can make these themselves. Such a simple project, yet so striking! 
Mit Übung könnten ältere Kinder auch solche Kronen schaffen. So einfach, aber so eindrucksvoll! 

Linked to The Magic Onions

10 comments:

  1. What a lovely (and simple) idea. We will have to try it next time we are out leaf collecting. My daughters went to waldspielgruppe here in Switzerland, and the whole experience was such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a terrific leaf crown. I know we will be trying it! Thank you for sharing the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These leaf crowns turned out beautifully! I will have to gather some leaves this weekend and make one! How fun! :) ~April

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, everyone for your encouraging comments! So glad that I was able to pass this idea along!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I might have to swipe this great idea for my 1st grade religious education class--fun, fun, fun! Thanks for visiting my blog, it's good to be back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cool idea, I love that it's completely created with nature. We'll have to try it.

    Thanks for sharing on Monday Madness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So wonderful. I am featuring this tomorrow on my link party. I still am not sure how to weave it together, but I am going to gather leaves tomorrow and give it a try. Your daughter looks so beautiful with her natural crown! What a beautiful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah! I keep "saying" that we will make some of these.. and then I forget.. Yours are beautiful! Love your photos!

    Must go off and make some.

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete