Saturday, November 17, 2012

Happy (Early) Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving is my favorite of the truly American holidays. No gifts or fuss - just a few great dishes and lots of thankfulness. Since Thanksgiving Day is just another workday Thursday in Berlin (the German version of the holiday is called "Erntedankfest" and is in October), we always have to celebrate either on the weekend before or after. So we celebrated today!

We were three families: 6 adults and 5 children. I made turkey, dressing and pumpkin pie. My friend from Tennessee made the sweet potatoes and a pecan pie that was to die for! Our German friends brought a tasty green salad to complement all the heavy Thanksgiving dishes.

My kids made these great turkey place settings for their friends:


And I placed the pilgrims in the middle of the children's table. (I need to find
a figure of Squanto, because I think he is the real hero of the story!)
My kids love to hear the history behind Thanksgiving and they can tell the 
story themselves now. 


And this was the adults' table. We played a game of Skip-bo afterwards
and the kids played a song for us on the keyboards and drums. 



Blessings and a wonderful family gathering to all of my American readers on Thursday! And I wish all of my other readers a great week as well!

5 comments:

  1. Liebe Sheila
    Vielen Dank für deinen Kommentar auf meinem Blog. So schön, die Tischkarten in Form eines Truthahns, welche die Kinder gebastelt haben! Ich habe noch nie einen Truthahn gegessen, würde mir aber bestimmt auch schmecken ...
    Liebe Grüsse
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke, Sarah! Es freut mich dein Blog gefunden zu haben und deine Gedanken besser kennenzulernen!

      Delete
  2. Very pretty table setting, Sheila. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheryl! I hope you and your family have a blessed time on Thursday!

      Delete
  3. Skip-bo? We Love skip-bo. come play with us (: I agree with you about Squanto. I'll share his life story on my blog soon. Probably on (American) thanksgiving (:

    ReplyDelete